Article Search


McIntyre back in NZ V8 lead


John McIntyre has moved back into the NZ V8 lead with a dramatic, last-metres lunge to take the lead on the finish line in a race whose opening lap was filled with mayhem.

March 11, 2007, 11.30am. The see-sawing battle between reigning champion Kayne Scott and arch-rival John McIntyre for the lead in the 2006/2007 NZ V8 Championship has swung back in McIntyre’s favour after this morning’s race at Teretonga Park, near Invercargill.

McIntyre took the win by a sliver of the nose of his BP Ultimate Ford Falcon, edging out Australian David Besnard’s similar car.

Scott came home third in the Fujitsu Holden Commodore.

McIntyre’s win has given him a four-point lead going into this afternoon’s final, reverse grid, race.

It was a race of two halves – or rather one partial lap and 14 complete ones – after a massive schemozzle at the entry to the high-speed loop at the beginning of lap one.

Several cars were involved, worst affected being Commodore drivers Andy Booth and Andrew Anderson who were starting fourth and fifth, and Ford racer Clark Proctor who was on grid four.

Also out of the race was 12th starter Nick Ross (Commodore), Fourteenth on the grid Cameron McLean (Commodore) took the restart with a severely damaged car.

The lead trio had got through the loop before the multi-car crash, and McIntyre had taken the outside line around Scott who conceded, leaving the order as: Besnard, McIntyre, Scott.

Besnard led away from the single file restart, followed by Scott, Angus Fogg (Caltex Star Mart Falcon), Luke Youlden (Falcon), Paul Manuell (Orix Commodore) and Paul Pedersen (Caltex Havoline Falcon).

Manuell stalked and passed Youlden, then set off after Fogg, closing in as the race reached two-thirds distance. With two laps to go the cars apparently touched at the Elbow, the corner on to the main straight.

Both got going again, though Manuell dropped to sixth and Fogg to eighth.

That elevated Paul Pedersen into fourth place which was where he finished, one place ahead of Youlden.

McIntyre made a last determined charge as they swept down the start/finish straight for the final time, edging ahead of Besnard to take the win.

Besnard was second, Scott third.

Results of the race are being held until an investigation into the first corner is completed.

– Mike Stock at Teretonga.

Photo caption: John McIntyre took a dramatic, last-gasp win in today’s first NZ V8 race. File photograph by Graham Blow.


Auto Trader New Zealand