Article Search


Fast and furious for Prinstop OSCA Supersaloons


The second round of the Printstop OSCA Supersaloons New Zealand championship at Powerbuilt Tools Raceway saw plenty of action.

The second round of the Printstop OSCA Supersaloons New Zealand championship at Powerbuilt Tools Raceway saw plenty of action. There was a number of off track excursions and finishing margins measured in 10ths of seconds. The final race was a dead heat with less than a thousandth of a second between Chris Coleman's Mini and Leighton Hill's Toyota.

Luke Youlden qualified the Mustang on pole position. The Mustang having been modified to fit with in the OSCA rules which resulted in a slight decrease in performance. Second fastest was Lawrence Knowler in his Camaro a second ahead of series leader Colin Dawson from Invercargill who put the V8 powered RX7 on 3rd with Cameron Jones 4th in his Turbo Charged RX7.

In race 1 Youlden disappeared from pole position to take an unchallenged victory. Behind him the racing was intense with many evenly matched cars fighting for position. Knowler and Greenslade raced nose to tail for the entire race with Knowler eventually taking second place by fourteen thousands of a second. Dawson and Jones also had a race long battle. Jones just pipped Dawson on the line. "I saw the last lap board and knew the only place I could get him was on the sprint to the line", said Jones, "I reach over at the sweeper and turned up the Turbo Boost. The extra power was just enough to get by"

The reverse grid race 2 saw plenty of action. Paul Williams spun his Camaro at pot hole. As the car slid across the in field, the front end disintegrated throwing debris back towards the track. Cameron Jones suffered a broken windscreen from the flying radiator but was able to continue racing. Colin Dawson took best advantage of the traffic storming through from near the back of the grid to take second place from an unbeatable Luke Youlden. Tim Rooney was a well deserved third in his Mustang from Lawrence Knowler and Andy Greenslade.

Coleman and Hill lead away the final handicap race. The pair battled hard though out the race, in the process both setting their best times for the weekend. In the end they were rewarded with a rare dead heat after the electronic timing recoded the exact same race time for both of them to a thousandth of a second. Youlden was third followed by Jones who had is second close finish for the weekend. Jones just beat Tony Stewart to the line. Jones and Stewart had a close call at the hairpin after Stewart ran wide and almost collected Jones as he came back on to the track. Stewart had been suffering from a lack of grip all weekend and was pleased to hold on to fifth. Elsewhere Greenslade and Dawson battled with Greenslade winning the braking duel at the end of the straight when Dawson locked his brakes and rear ended Mark Burgess's RX7.

The North Island and South Island series now continue independently until the end of March when the National Championship resumes at Manfeild. South Islands still fill the top spots but the North Islanders have closed the gap as they head towards home territory.

The next round for the North Island Printstop OSCA Supersaloons is at Manfeild 27-28th January. Series leader Tony Oliver will be back in his potent WRX after campaigning his Nissan Sunny in the South Island. Current champion Andy Greenslade will back after missing the first round at Taupo. He will have an up hill battle to regain his title. Also expect Cameron Jones to be on form at his home track. He broke his crankshaft in the first race at Taupo and will be working hard to close the gap on Oliver.

Auto Trader New Zealand