top-nav-left top-nav-right

Article Search

 
clear

New TT here before Christmas

 

Meet Audi's second-generation TT coupe which will be on sale in New Zealand before the end of 2006

The TT debuted in 1998, and the new version is longer and wider than its predecessor, and has upgraded drivetrain and running gear.

Initially it will be available only as a two-plus-two seat coupe: a roadster will follow at a date yet to be announced.

The new TT coupe's body uses Audi's ASF spaceframe design: 69 percent of the superstructure is aluminium. Steel components account for the remaining 31 percent, and are used at the rear end, to ensure balanced distribution of the axle loads.

To improve downforce, a spoiler extends from the tailgate when the car hits 120km/h. The new TT is 137mm longer than its predecessor - at 4178mm - and 78mm wider at 1842mm.

Buyers can choose between two petrol engines. The 2.0-litre turbocharged four-cylinder has FSI direct fuel-injection, develops 147kW and accelerates the TT to 100km/h in 6.4 seconds, enroute to a 240km/h top speed.

The naturally-aspirated 3.2-litre V6 develops 184kW, pushing the TT to 100km/h in 5.7 seconds and on to an electronically-governed top speed of 250km/h.

Both engines are mated to the S-tronic dual-clutch gearbox.

The four-cylinder engine comes with front-wheel drive, but the V6 uses the quattro permanent four-wheel drive system.

Standard equipment includes automatic air-conditioning, a flat-bottomed sports steering wheel and the Multi Media interface (MMI). Available options include an adaptive cornering light system and the Audi parking system.

 


Auto Trader New Zealand