Introducing EVolocity – the largest electric motor sport event to hit New Zealand – which is set to take place on Sunday 30 November at Ruapuna Speedway in Christchurch.
Fast-paced, innovative and exciting, EVolocity is a motor sport event with an environmental twist – demonstrating electric vehicle performance and efficiency.
An initiative of the Association for the Promotion of Electric Vehicles (APEV), EVolocity aims to promote the use of electric vehicles while also encouraging New Zealanders to innovate, invent and become involved in the future of transport.
APEV executive director Rob McEwen says: "EVolocity is the first ever day of electric motorsport in New Zealand and we think that is pretty special. The sector is growing worldwide with technology and innovation taking electric vehicles to thrilling new places – I am sure those who visit EVolocity will see electric vehicles in a whole new light and some may even come away with a new passion."
This year's event highlights include:
• A race between the world's fastest electric drag motor bike and the fastest drag motor bike in the South Island. (The electric drag bike goes from 0-100km/h in 1 second).
• An action packed event featuring sixteen Canterbury high school teams who have developed their own custom design and built electric vehicles.
• A showcase of three world record holding electric vehicles from the US, plus New Zealand's first Tesla S (The highest performance electric vehicle commercially available and Motor Trend car of the year, 2013).
• A race between the epitome of motorsport a Ferrari and the high performance Tesla Roadster.
• Race legend – Eva Håkansson who holds the title of fastest electric motorcycle in the world (434 km/h), fastest sidecar motorcycle in the world and fastest woman on a motorcycle in the world.
• Kevin Clemens who set 11 world, US National and US East Coast land speed records with electric motorcycles built in his Minnesota workshop.
• A Dragon's Den where inventors and innovators will go head to head for potential investor backing.
• An Award Ceremony celebrating the stand out performances and innovations from the day.
EVolocity is sponsored by Orion, the central Canterbury electricity network operator, who is well advanced in planning for the impact of electric vehicles on the network and understands the need to be ready and able to adopt this technology.