A new interior and smoother ride are among the highlights of the 2010 Jeep Patriot that has just gone on sale in New Zealand
The classic Jeep exterior styling remains largely unchanged, but inside the Patriot has a completely new look.
The interior is now finished in Dark Slate Grey and the fabric upholstery on the Sport model has Stain Repel technology – the Limited model gets leather trim – and the cargo area on both models is now fully carpeted. Also new is the matte dashboard, centre stack and instrument panel, door trim panels and centre console with split lid for added storage space.
The engine compartment and interior floor insulation has been improved to reduce noise, and the engine exhaust has been tuned to produce a sportier note. Suspension tuning gives the Jeep Patriot a more comfortable, smoother ride.
Under the bonnet is a 2.4-litre petrol engine matched to a second generation CVT automatic transmission. Jeep says the transmission has been re-calibrated to provide improved shifting and allow the driver to manually select six gears.
The Freedom Drive on-demand system engages four-wheel drive and features an Electronically Controlled Coupling (ECC) attached to the rear differential. The ECC controls the amount of torque going to the rear wheels by means of an electronic control module and a two-stage clutch.
The whole system is specifically designed to work with the car’s various safety systems, the Electronic Stability Programme (ESP), Anti-lock Brakes (ABS) and Brake Traction Control (Brake Lock Differential) system. Electronic Roll Mitigation is also present.
“The new Jeep Patriot is an exceptional vehicle and we have managed to incorporate all the changes without increasing the price,” says Todd Groves, Chrysler Divisional Manager for Sime Darby Automobiles New Zealand Limited, which distributes Jeep in this market.
Other clever features on the new Jeep Patriot include:
- Premium sound system two articulating speakers packaged in the tailgate; when the tailgate is open, the speakers can swing down to face rearward and play music to augment outdoor activities
- Dual purpose, self-recharging removable cargo lamp mounted in the headliner above the cargo area, which can be removed to serve as a flashlight
- Sliding centre armrest with 76 millimetres of travel to accommodate a variety of drivers in comfort
- Fold-flat front passenger seat that creates a table-like surface for added versatility
- 17-inch alloy wheels on all models
- Heated front seats and deep tint windows on all Patriot models
Read our review of the 2010 Jeep Patriot here.
Compare the Jeep Patriot to other models here.