British teenager, Michael Lyons, set the pace in qualifying for the Formula 5000 races at this weekend’s Australian Formula 1 Grand Prix meeting in Melbourne
Lyons drove his Lola T400 (white and red car pictured) to pole starting position ahead of the 2008/2009 MSC New Zealand F5000 Tasman Cup Revival Series champion-elect Ken Smith (67) in a Lola T430 (red car pictured). Melbourne is the trans-Tasman series’ final round.
Christchurch's Tony Richards (Lola T332) was third-fastest, ahead of fellow Kiwi Roger Williams, also in a T332 Lola.
Then came Kiwi David Abbott (Lola T430) and Briton Mark Dwyer in a Lola T400.
Australian Darcy Russell gridded his Lola T330 eighth ahead of countryman Tony Floreani's Australian designed and built Elfin MR5.
There are two MSC New Zealand F5000 Tasman Cup Revival Series races on the programme this weekend, a six-lapper on Saturday and an eight-lapper on Sunday.
Pole-winner Lyons is about to start an open-wheeler career in Britain, racing in Formula Renault UK this season.
Formula 5000 qualifying, Melbourne
1. Michael Lyons, GB, Lola T400, 1m 58.5643s.
2. Ken Smith, NZ, Lola T430, 1m 59.0724s.
3. Tony Richards, NZ, Lola T332, 1m 59.6321s.
4. Roger Williams, NZ, Lola T332, 2m 04.3048s.
5. David Abbott, NZ, Lola T430, 2m 06.0195s.
6. Mark Dwyer, GB, Lola T400, 2m 07.0578s.
7. Sefton Gibb, NZ, Lola T332, 2m 07.1018s.
8. Darcy Russell. Australia, Lola T330, 2m 08.4369s.
9. Tony Floreani, Australia, Elfin MR5, 2m 08.8609s.
10. Ian Clements, NZ, Lola T332, 2m 09.4866s.