Former champion within striking distance of works driver after leg two of Cyprus Rally.
Former world champion, Petter Solberg (pictured), had a sensational second day in Rally Cyprus, pushing his privately-run 2006 model Citroen Xsara WRC to two special stage wins and into fourth place overall.
After leg two, the Norwegian is only 15.9 seconds behind third-placed Dani Sordo in the works Citroen C4 WRC.
“Two stage wins, that’s not so bad,” Solberg said last night. “It was really good fun today and I will push real hard tomorrow (the rally’s final day).
“Anything is possible. This was unbelievable. It’s not perfect yet, but we are getting there. I have a good feeling.”
World champion Sebastien Loeb still leads the rally in his works Citroen.
But Ford’s Mikko Hirvonen has moved into second place.
The Sunday leg has three long stages. The first is 30 kilometres, followed by a remote service. The next stage is 40km and the final test is 11km.
Leaderboard after Day 2
1. S Loeb/D Elena, Citroen C4, 3h 33m 43.8s.
2. M Hirvonen/J Lehtinen, Ford Focus RS 3h 34m 33.6s.
3. D Sordo/M Marti, Citroen C4, 3h 35m 19.8s.
4. P Solberg/P Mills, Citroen Xsara, 3h 35m 35.7s.
5. M Wilson/S Martin, Ford Focus RS, 3h 38m 57.5s.
6. S Ogier/J Ingrassiam Citroen C4, 3h 39m 26.6s.