New Zealand's Brendon Hartley finished a disappointing 17th at the Monaco 3.5 World Series Renault race, but managed to achieve some fastest lap times
Hartley, the 19-year-old from Palmerston North, finished 17th in his Red Bull Dallara-Renault, but put together a string of fastest laps right at the end of the 25-lap race after two drive-through penalties.
After his second drive-through penalty for bouncing over the Monaco chicanes, Hartley turned in a fast and furious final stint. His last seven laps were all under 1m 27.3s; the fastest lap by the second fastest driver in the race was 1m 27.5s
Hartley finally stopped the clocks at 1m 26.609s (138.8kph) which was a faster lap time than race winner Oliver Turvey recorded for his pole position.
Hartley’s fastest race lap was nearly two seconds faster than the lap time he set in his own troubled qualification on Saturday, and nearly a second faster than any other driver in the 26-car field.
The Kiwi’s fastest lap is a Monaco record lap time for the World Series Renault single seaters on the current Michelin tyres. The ‘official’ World Series Renault lap record - a 1m 25.5s lap - was set in 2006 on a faster and softer Michelin control tyre.
Hartley started the race from the eighth row of the grid and improved from 15th to 12th on his first lap. He was up to tenth place when he was ordered in for his first drive-through penalty on lap 14.
Kiwi Chris van der Drift finished the 25 lap race in seventh place having started from ninth on the grid.
Pos Driver Team Time
1. Oliver Turvey Carlin 39m24.975s
2. Adrian Zaugg Interwetten + 0.661s
3. James Walker P1 + 3.595s
4. Miguel Molina Ultimate + 8.288s
5. Bertrand Baguette Draco + 9.337s
6. Jaime Alguersuari Carlin + 10.039s
7. Chris van der Drift Epsilon + 10.431s
8. Adrian Valles Epsilon + 11.123s
9. Charles Pic Tech 1 + 11.462s
10. Stefano Coletti Prema + 13.856s
11. Sten Pentus Fortec + 21.570s
12. John Martin Comtec + 24.496s
13. Greg Mansell Ultimate + 24.948s
14. Julian Leal Prema + 29.017s
15. Fairuz Fauzy Fortec + 33.215s
16. Marco Barba Draco + 37.923s
17. Brendon Hartley Tech 1 + 43.753s
18. Federico Leo Pons + 58.671s
19. Max Chilton Comtec + 1m15.452s
20. Anton Nebylitskiy SG + 1m20.321s
21. Filip Salaquarda RC + 1 lap
R Jules Bianchi SG 16 laps
R Pasquale di Sabatino RC 11 laps
R Marcos Martinez Pons 7 laps
R Daniil Move P1 0 laps
R Mihai Marinescu Interwetten 0 laps