Sébastien Loeb and Daniel Elena took their Citroen C4 to first place in the Rally Mexico over the weekend
Sebastien Loeb scored a victory at Rally Mexico and has lept to the top of the FIA Drivers' standings after round two of the 2010 World Rally Championship.
Loeb, the defending and six-times World Champion, built up a lead of almost a minute during Saturday's competition, and cruised through Sunday's three stages to finish 24.2 seconds ahead of Petter Solberg, who claimed second place in another Citroen C4 WRC.
The win was Loeb and co-driver Daniel Elena's fourth consecutive success at Rally Mexico.
After finishing runner-up to Ford rival Mikko Hirvonen on the series' opening round in Sweden, the Frenchman is now six points clear at the top of the drivers' standings.
"I had a good lead today and was not going to take any risks with that when I started first on the road,” said Loeb. “I was just breezing through the last couple of stages trying to keep my concentration. It's a good victory; I'm back in the lead of the championship and the points we lost in Sweden we've won back - that's important.
"Okay, it's only the start of the championship but I'm really happy. We had a really good drive yesterday and a good feeling in the car. It’s looking good," he added.
1. S Loeb/D Elena FRA Citroen C4 3hr 42min 41.7sec
2. P Solberg/P Mills NOR Citroen C4 3hr 43min 05.9sec
3. S Ogier/J Ingrassia FRA Citroen C4 3hr 43min 07.0sec
4. M Hirvonen/J Lehtinen FIN Ford Focus RS 3hr 44min 29.2sec
5. J-M Latvala/M Anttila FIN Ford Focus RS 3hr 44min 56.8sec
6. H Solberg/I Minor NOR Ford Focus RS 3hr 45min 29.7sec
7. F Villagra/J Perez Companc ARG Ford Focus RS 3hr 52min 55.1sec
8. X Pons/A Haro ESP Ford Fiesta S2000 4hr 01min 26.1sec
9. M Prokop/J Tomanek CZE Ford Fiesta S2000 4hr 01min 43.7sec
10 A Araujo/R Miguel POR Mitsubishi Lancer 4hr 04min 14.2sec
1. S Loeb 43pts
2. M Hirvonen 37pts
3= J-M Latvala 25pts
3= S Ogier 25pts
5. P Solberg 20pts
6. H Solberg 16pts
1. BP Ford Abu Dhabi 67pts
2. Citroen Total 61pts
3. Citroen Junior 32pts
4. Stobart M-Sport Ford 28pts
5. Munchi's Ford 8pts