Ford works driver Jari-Matti Latvala leads Citroen's Sebastien Loeb after two days of the 2008 WRC finale but the big improver is Petter Solberg who has taken the new-look Subaru Impreza into fourth place.
Ford RS Focus driver Jari-Matti Latvala continues to lead the ice-ridden final round of the 2008 World Rally Championship WRC in Wales.
But newly-crowned world champion Sebastien Loeb is less than eight seconds behind in his works Citroen C4 WRC. Loeb’s Citroen teammate, Dani Sordo, is a further 20 seconds behind, in third place.
Subaru’s Petter Solberg has moved into fourth place in his works Impreza WRC2008. The Norwegian says the car is very good in fast sections, and save for some minor suspension tuning for the final day, he’s happy with the way the new-look Impreza is going.
His teammate, Australian Chris Atkinson, was flown to hospital after crashing heavily in an icy section of road in leg one on Friday.
Atkinson and co-driver Stephane Prevot were both back in the service park on Saturday morning before heading home. Neither has significant injuries.
Saturday’s weather was even colder than Friday’s though the skies were fine and the threat of rain had gone. But the roads were dotted with patches of ice and thick slippery mud, which made grip levels unpredictable.
“The roads are so icy here and that’s where I’m losing time,” Solberg said. “Everywhere on the fast stuff I’m as fast as or faster than everybody else, but it’s just on the ice that I’m losing.
“It’s all about having consistent grip here, but the car is looking more positive. So many places I have been much faster than anybody but then we come to ice and it goes.”
Top 10 placings after Leg 2 of Wales Rally GB.
1. Latvala/Anttila, Ford Focus RS WRC 07, 1h 47m 52.4s.
2. Loeb/Elena, Citroen C4 WRC, +7.3s.
3. Sordo/Marti, Citroen C4 WRC, +27.9s.
4. Solberg/Mills, Subaru Impreza WRC2008, +52.5s.
5. Andersson/Andersson, Suzuki SX4 WRC, +2m 06.1s.
6. Solberg/Menkerud, Ford Focus RS WRC 07, +2m 09.3s.
7. Duval/Giraudet, Ford Focus RS WRC 07, +2m 29.6s
8. Gardemeister/Tuominen, Suzuki SX4 WRC, +3m 33.0s.
9. Hirvonen/Lehtinen, Ford Focus RS WRC 07, +4m 44.5s.
10. Wilson/Martin, Ford Focus RS WRC 07, +4m 49.5s.