BMW Sauber has replaced the injured Jacques Villeneuve with test and reserve driver Robert Kubica for this weekend’s Hungarian Grand Prix.
He will be the first Pole ever to contest a Formula 1 Grand Prix.
Villeneuve was hurt in an accident in last Sunday’s German GP.
BMW Motorsport boss Mario Theissen says Villeneuve had told the team he is not ready to race after his Hockenheim accident.
“Robert has made an outstanding impression with the team so far, both in testing and on the Friday of the race weekends,” Theissen says. “Now we will see how he performs in a Formula 1 race. However, we have not yet made a decision on who will drive the car either in the remaining races of the season or next year."
Kubica (21) says he has prepared himself for a whole year without actually competing in any races, “so I'm even happier to get this opportunity. And I'm proud that the BMW Sauber F1 Team has such confidence in me. I'm determined not to let them down."
Kubica began karting as an 11-year-old and won a string of titles in Poland, Italy, and Germany.
He also raced in Italian Formula Renault 2000 and the Formula 3 Euro Series before landing the BMW-Sauber test drive.