Matt Halliday took two wins from three starts in the Battery Town Porsche GT3 series at Manfeild.
February 21, 2007. A1 GP driver Matt Halliday won last weekend’s Manfeild round of the Battery Town Porsche GT3 series after posting victories in two of the three races.
Halliday qualified on pole and won Saturday’s race with a dominant a lights to flag performance, leading home Fabian Coulthard and defending champion Craig Baird.
Coulthard won the incident-packed second race on Sunday morning after a tangle with Baird slowed Halliday.
But Halliday was back in front early in the 16-lap reverse top six grid final, quickly displacing pole-starter Rob Steele and fellow front row starter Shane McKillen.
Baird finished third in Race 1 but saw his chances fade in Race 2 when he was handed a drive-through penalty after the contact with Halliday.
Jody Vincent finished second in race 2 – his best placing of the series so far – with Halliday third.
Heading to the next round at Timaru, Baird leads the points standings, from Coulthard, Halliday and Vincent.
Porsche GT3 Cup results from Manfeild.
Race One, 10 laps.
1. Matt Halliday, 11 minutes40.474 seconds.
2. Fabian Coulthard, 0.834s behind.
3. Craig Baird, 1.311s behind.
4. Jody Vincent, 12.956s behind.
5. Jono Lester, 14.225s behind.
6. Graeme Cameron, 15.851s behind.
Race Two, 10 laps.
1. Fabian Coulthard, 11m 44.570s.
2. Jody Vincent, 2.888s behind.
3. Matt Halliday, 3.780s behind.
4. Rick Armstrong, 14.790s behind.
5. Shane McKillen, 24.660s behind.
6. Rob Steele, 25.151s behind.
Race Three, 16 laps.
1. Matt Halliday, 18m 48.554s.
2. Fabian Coulthard, 5.363s behind.
3. Craig Baird, 5.658s behind.
4. Jody Vincent, 17.200s behind.
5. Rob Steele, 19.546s behind.
6. Shane McKillen, 26.286s behind.
Points after four rounds of seven.
Craig Baird, 746; Fabian Coulthard, 732; Matt Halliday, 725; Jody Vincent, 649; Jono Lester, 456; Graeme Cameron, 389.
Photo caption: Matt Halliday won the Manfeild round of the Porsche GT3 series. Photograph by Fast Company/Graham Blow.