For the Volkswagen factory team, the second leg of the UAE Desert Challenge was marked by ups and downs.
After Monday's stage victory Carlos Sainz in the Volkswagen Race Touareg 2 started the 305-kilometre loop around the bivouac in Moreeb in first place.
He fought a thrilling duel with Mitsubishi driver Luc Alphand. Up to the third time check both drivers were running in front, separated by merely a few metres. Then Sainz had to stop due to a defect in the drive system and was only able to continue the special stage after a more than three-hour repair break.
Volkswagen factory driver Ari Vatanen was quick but got stuck in the soft sand for eleven minutes and defended his fourth place. Finishing the special stage in fourth position, the Portuguese Carlos Sousa in a Volkswagen Race Touareg 2 entered by Team Lagos moved up from fifth to third place.
Standings after leg 2, Moreeb (UAE) - Moreeb (UAE); 305/452 km leg 2/overall
Pos., Team, Vehicle, Leg 2, Total time
1. Luc Alphand/Gilles Picard (F/F); Mitsubishi Pajero Evolution; 3h52m30s (1st); 6h41m59 s
2. Jean-L. Schlesser/Emmanuel Guigou (F/F); Schlesser-Ford; 3h56m01s (3rd) + 14m25s
3. Carlos Sousa/Andreas Schulz (P/D); Volkswagen Race Touareg 2; 4h04m06s (4th) + 15m14s
4. Ari Vatanen/Fabrizia Pons (FIN/I); Volkswagen Race Touareg 2; 4h10m58s (5th) + 21m26s
5. Stéphane Peterhansel/Jean-P. Cottret (F/F); Mitsubishi Pajero Evolution; 3h55m51s (2nd) + 26m41s
21. Carlos Sainz/Michel Périn (E/F); Volkswagen Race Touareg 2; 7h21m42s (24th) + 3h45m55 s