Visiting American takes first race win in Wigram Trophy F5000 meeting.
American Jay Esterer scored a dominant win in yesterday’s mayhem-packed opening race of the MSC NZ F5000 Tasman Cup Revival Series round at Ruapuna, Christchurch.
Esterer (McRae GM1) passed fastest qualifier Tony Richards (Lola T332) and series points leader Ken Smith (Lola T430) soon after the start and drove to an untroubled win.
Behind him Ian Clements (Lola T332) and then Smith spun, at different corners. Richards and a closely following Stan Redmond (Lola T332) speared off the track to avoid Smith, whose Lola T430 was stuck in the middle of the road.
All three got going again, and Smith – who had dropped to last – fought back to finish sixth, setting the fastest lap on the way.
Esterer won from Sefton Gibb (Lola T332), David Abbott (Lola T430) and Australian Aaron Burson (Talon). Clements made his way back to fifth, ahead of Smith.
Results of Race One
1. Jay Esterer, USA, McRae GM1.
2. Sefton Gibb, NZ, Lola T33s, +9.021 seconds.
3. David Abbott, NZ, Lola T430, +17.430s
4. Aaron Burson, Australia, Talon MR1A, +19.670s.
5. Ian Clements, Lola T332, NZ, +20.217s.
6. Ken Smith, Lola T430, NZ, +20.226.